[Distutils] PEP 376 - site-directories and site.addsitedir

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu May 14 16:34:13 CEST 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 12:03:21 +0200, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a proposal: let's restrict the search for this API to
> site-package directories only. (directories added with
> site.addsitedir)
>
> People will be able to mark add any directory (like the per-user
> site-package directory - http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370)

To me... it sounds like a good idea... but needs a little refining.

Let me clarify the three type of packages in any python system:

 1) Project Packages (needed by projects - ie subdirectories/eggs)

 2) User Packages ( introduced python 2.6 windows version)

 3) Site-Packages ( /lib/site-packages)

Anything else.... is really lost or just misplaced.

If we think of all packages in these three divisions, it will give
us more clarity in providing what users are inevitably after.

> This requires to add in site.py a registry to keep track of all
> directories added through site.addsitedir

There's no need for this... given that all the mechanisms for tracking
packages already exist. But only knights of the old code know where
it all is and how it works....

David