[Distutils] Utility to mirror an egg index from a Debian distribution

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 15 18:25:31 CEST 2009

At 01:00 PM 5/15/2009 +0200, Brian Sutherland wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It may seem like a backwards way of doing things, but I have a need for
>a utility that can maintain a python package index mirror of a Debian
>repository.
>
>The basic idea is to extract the tarballs of Python packages from the
>Debian repository and rename them to the original setuptools name. It
>should also create a buildout-compatible versions file of the versions
>in the repository.
>
>My current implementation idea is to unpack the tarball and use the
>egg-metadata to figure out what the "egg" name of the tarball should be.

Running "setup.py --name --version" will dump out the name and
version, whether you use distutils or setuptools.  If you want a
setuptools-compatible name and version, you'll need to postprocess
those strings with pkg_resources.safe_name() and safe_version(), then
escape them with to_filename() if you're using them as components of
a sdist or egg filename.