[Distutils] Side by side debug/non-debug eggs

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri May 22 15:45:39 CEST 2009

Hello all,

Prior to eggs, if I wanted to have debug and non-debug versions of an
extension module available, I could build and install the extension
twice and the modules would happily co-exist, for example:

  $ python setup.py build install
  $ python-dbg setup.py build install
  $ .../site-packages/twisted/python$ ls *.so
  _epoll_d.so  _epoll.so
  $ .../site-packages/twisted/python$

If I then ran a debug build of Python, the debug extension would be loaded.
When I ran a normal build of Python, the non-debug extension would be loaded.
However, with eggs, each new egg completely replaces the last egg.  There
seems to be no possibility for side-by-side builds.  Am I overlooking a
feature of eggs or of setuptools?

Thanks,
Jean-Paul