[Distutils] PEP 376 up-to-date

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:01:02 CEST 2009

2009/5/26 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> * There is extensive coupling both to sys.path and to the global cache; in
> particular, the owns() operation properly belongs to an object representing
> a *directory*, rather than an object representing an individual project.
>
> Note too that such "directory" objects would then also be an appropriate
> cache target, and a suitable home for egg_info_dirs() and get_file_users()
> operations.  This also simplifies get_egg_infos, since it would simply
> either retrieves directories from the cache or creates them and optionally
> caches them, without also meddling in the details of cache contents.
>
> Also, an application that wishes to do so can simply create directory
> objects of its own and manage their lifecycle accordingly.
>
> Personally, I would also make an object for a collection of directories, but
> you could possibly get away without it.

I can see the benefit of having such objects, I'll work on that. (and
other points I didn't mention)

Just one point though:

- do we want to scan egg-info directories that are *directly* added in
sys.path ?

  If we do so,  using directories objects would require looking for
the parent directory to create a directory
  object that hold each one of those "top" egg-info directories.  This
seems like a bad idea to me.
  Or maybe a specific global directory object could handle those top
egg-info dirs. Its path would be
  virtual, and it would use "sys.path" instead of "os.listdir()" to
list the elements it works it.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org