[Distutils] Low Level API for translating distutils/setuptools metatdata to Debian metadata

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Fri May 29 11:12:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've just published a very small library that does three things so far:

    * Provides a mapping between python project names and Debian
      binary/source package names
    * Converts setuptools versions to Debian versions while maintaining
      sort order
    * Can introspect an .egg-info directory to figure out the Debian
      dependencies for use in the debian/control file. It can also
      handle/understand extras (I Hope!)

It's basically an attempt to find a common ground between all the
projects doing automated Python->Debian packaging. I have a feeling
everyone is re-implementing this code all the time.

The code is here:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/van.pydeb/

And an example of direct use in a packaging situation with complex dependencies is here:

    http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-zope/zope.component/trunk/debian/rules?view=markup

--
Brian Sutherland