[Distutils] Alternate static metadata PEP submission...

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon Nov 2 19:14:56 CET 2009

David Lyon schrieb:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:26:43 +0000, Floris Bruynooghe
>>> Has anyone already suggested something like "python -m setup install"?
>>> It would be rather similar and explicit, too.
>
> Actually, I never came across that command line option and had no idea
> that it even existed. But this is normal, because I don't try to find
> out every command line possibility or even try to remember many past
> half a dozen.

Of course you wouldn't have to guess that, it would supersede "python setup.py"
in the respective manuals.

> When I run it, I even get something (which is interesting):

Not very.  You had a setup.py in the current directory.

The beauty of the "python -m setup" approach is that it will execute the
setup.py in the current directory if present, or a stdlib-supplied one
if not.

Georg