[Distutils] Distribute sprint #2, next sunday

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:01:28 CET 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We will have a sprint sunday afternoon, starting at 3 pm in
> Berlin/Germany. If you are interested you can join online in the irc
> (#distutils on Freenode)
> or in Berlin of course.

A quick wrapup on this sprint. We were sprinting in Berlin with Jannis.

== virtualenv ==

We worked on the finalization of the --distribute option for
Distribute 0.6.x and this is now available in a test version Ian
released.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv/1.4rc1

(It's hidden on PyPI, so you should only get this version if you
specify it explicitly.)

== distribute ==

I've worked on "new" distutils commands for 0.7:

- install_egg_info : that's the "egg_info" command, renamed and
reworked. It now uses only distutils, and created a directory with the
PKG-INFO file. The next step is to add the pluggable part like 0.6
has, but with very a restricted execution environment unlike what we
have today. IOW: the plugin will not receive the command or the
distribution object so it can't hack on it.

- develop: I have continued the develop command work. It creates a
.pth file only, and does not create an egg-link file anymore. It just
contains a path to the place the distribution is located. The next
step is to list in the .pth file all the packages and modules paths
instead of one single path. I am not sure of the best way to do it
yet.

Cheers
Tarek