[Distutils] PEP 376 -- support for release versions?

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Thu Nov 5 22:31:58 CET 2009

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 13:03:45 -0800, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I understand correctly, ActiveState has its own releases of
> python-ldap repackaged in pypm files,
> and has several releases per python-ldap versions.

Correct. Much like what Linux distributions (like debian) do.

> So, why it doesn't have its own versions ? like: 2.3.10.2 in that
> case. (following a PEP 386-compatible scheme)
> So this would be:

> 'python_ldap-2.3.10.2.egg-info'

Because python-ldap may release a similar version in future. We don't have
to cause collisions. This is why the release version is not part of
package version in the *.pypm filename.

I actually now think that storing the release number inside the .egg-info/
directory may be a better idea. Like:

$ cat python_ldap-2.3.10.egg-info/pypm.txt
release: 2
$

What do you think?

-srid