[Distutils] Bundling Distribute

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 08:03:11 CET 2009

2009/11/6 Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>:
> Time spent installing is only part of the cost. Neither of thosr options
> cooperate with the operating system's *own* package management.

Well, do to THAT you have to make packages for that systems own
package management, and that's a completely different issue, with it's
own set of problems, religions and wars.

> That's when a “binary package”

> Using the word "binary package" to mean a, built by an operating system vendor or
> some other trusted third party, is much less effort over time; and many
> users know this, and will opt for such packages by preference.

For end user applications, sure. It has not been specified if we are
talking about and end-user application that should have an installer
etc.

Note that this discussion started with bundling distribute so it was
imported from third_party.setuptools instead of just setuptools. A
fairly specific question. Then the discussion suddenly was about
project that had long compile times. And now about making
distro-specific distributions for easy installation.

This is a whole different ballgame from where the discussion started.
Arguments are being made against statements by switching the context
in which the question is being made. That's not a constructive type of
discussion. There is nothing from the initial question that indicates
that it's a big project for end users with loads of C-code in it.
Let's not make the issue more complicated than it already is.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64