[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Kaelin Colclasure kaelin at acm.org
Sat Nov 7 00:02:30 CET 2009

On Nov 6, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:

> Guido van Rossum kirjoitti:
>> I just found this comment on my blog. People have told me this in
>> person too, so I believe it is real pain (even if the solution may be
>> elusive and the suggested solutions may not work). But I don't know
>> how to improve the world. Is the work on distutils-sig going to be
>> enough? Or do we need some other kind of work in addition? Do we need
>> more than PyPI?
>>
>> --Guido

As both a CPAN contributor and a recent PyPI contributor I think I can
speak to this:

When I packaged my first Perl module for CPAN distribution, there was
no question about how to go about it. There was a clear recipe and it
worked without a hitch the first time I tried.

When I recently packaged my first Python module for PyPI I was a bit
dismayed to learn that easy_install is just one of several ways to
disseminate Python code. The documentation is fragmented... The stuff
I read on easy_install basically assumed you already knew all about
distutils, and I eventually had to reorganize my code from a simple
module to a package just to get a few non-code files to be pulled in
by the install. A less persistent would-be contributor might have
given up in frustration.

I joined this mailing list instead, and got my package working with
some kind assistance. :-) But CPAN was just easier to contribute to.

-- Kaelin