[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Nov 7 05:07:31 CET 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 02:19:02 +0100, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I unfortunately don't have all the time I wish I had to work on this
> more.

We all know that.

It needs somebody new to take on the challenge.

> Now, if you do want to help in the documentation so it's better for
> newcomers, (in PyPI, Distutils, etc),
> I think we would all be happy on such contributions

The problem isn't only about documentation. We need the following:

 - Overhaul the build system (simplify)

 - implement a simple install system (metadata install?)

 - specify an internal test framework for packages.

 - setup a buildbot testing framework on pypi

After that, we could modify the documentation.

>> The Perl community is --  by hearsay --
>> oriented sympathetically towards people who are not primarily
>> programmers.

That's what we don't have.... and need.

I think this is just too big for distutils alone. Distutils
and the building of packages is only one part of what needs
to change to bring about the changes that Guido is requesting.

David