[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 12:12:44 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 02:19:02 +0100, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I unfortunately don't have all the time I wish I had to work on this
>> more.
>
> We all know that.
>
> It needs somebody new to take on the challenge.

David,

You don't understand at all what is going on I think. You have been
keeping sending passive-agressive
emails in python-dev and in distutils-sig everytime we mention the
work that's going on in Distutils.

This is happening since we said we didn't want to integrate your GUI
system in Python.

When I say "I unfortunately don't have all the time I wish I had to
work on this more", it doesn't mean
that we need to find somebody "new" to take on the challenge, it means
that we can take
more help from more people (and that includes you of course).

Wether you like it or not, I am maintaining Distutils, so I am trying
to coordinate the work that is going
on for that matter.  And this work is currently organized in several
PEPs we are changing everytime
someone provides some new feedback and insights.

You have started some kind of "counter-PEP" to push another build
system, and I really doubt
this is useful in any ways. Discussing new ideas is useful of course,
but changing Distutils for another build system
in the stdlib will not happen, unless its proven to be sucessfully
used by the community for some time.

I will do at this point what other have been doing at python-dev and
just ignore your mails for now on.

Tarek