[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Nov 9 22:48:42 CET 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:32:55 -0800, "Sridhar Ratnakumar"
<sridharr at activestate.com> wrote:

> I suggest that we check for valid metadata on the uploaded sdists at the

> least. If you visit http://pypm.activestate.com/ - most failed packages
> are due to the fact the sdist uploaded by the author misses certain files

> such as README.txt (that is read by setup.py) or setup.py/PKG-INFO
itself.

That may be out of the scope of distutils. Not sure.

CPAN does do checks and we've taken it upon ourselves to start writing
something similar. Our target is to set up to run daily and package
validate
run on a server farm.

It's located at :

    http://bitbucket.org/djlyon/pypi-package-testbot/

> Without such quality policing, I can't see how tools like
pip/easy_install
> could even install the package (let alone doing it in an user-friendly
> way).

It's a community issue, sure. And it affects everyone when something
breaks because of some very minor fault.

David