[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:51:10 CET 2009

On 11/9/09, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
[...]
> Some things are fixable in distutils: for example, to build things, you
> should be able to get rid of the imperative operations, and have instead
> of registry of extension -> action (ala scons/waf).

What is a registery of extension exactly ? Distutils let you register your own
commands, you can use through the CLI.

Can you provide more details ?

>>   I'd really be shocked if a
>> rewrite of distutils was necessary, or even necessary to simplify
>> things.
>
> That's the opposite of my own experience. I think I have given several
> reasonable examples of shortcomings of distutils: I would be glad to
> hear that each of them has a simple solution which is
> backward-compatible in distutils.

I am in for making Distutils evolve, but I need very precise real
world use cases
not saying that Distutils shouldn't do imperative operations).

Last, I am not sure why you want only backward-compatible changes in distutils.

There's no plan to keep backward-compatibility if breaking it makes
DIstutils better. We will have pending deprecation warnings, that's
all.

Tarek