[Distutils] PEP 376 -- support for release versions?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:25:45 CET 2009

On 2009-11-09 17:17 PM, David Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:01:53 -0600, Robert Kern<robert.kern at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Ok, well they're part of http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/
>>>
>>> I'll revise my statement back to saying that doing it according
>>> to PEP-345 makes the most sense imho.
>>
>> Where? I don't see it.
>
> Right at the top, 3rd field, after Metadata-Version and Name:
>
> Version
>
>      A string containing the package's version number. This field must be in
> the format specified in PEP 386 [3].
>
>      Example:
>
>      Version: 1.0a2

That's not what we're talking about. That is the version of the upstream code
itself. We're talking about release numbers for the binary package made by third
parties like ActiveState or Enthought. As we fix bugs in our build process for
each package, we may need to release multiple binary packages for each main
version of the upstream code. Please read the rest of the thread for the reasons
why we need to do this and why we should not simply munge the main package
version to do this.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."