[Distutils] PEP 376 -- support for release versions?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Nov 10 01:43:05 CET 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:25:45 -0600, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We're talking about release numbers for the binary package made by
> third parties like ActiveState or Enthought. As we fix bugs in our
> build process for each package, we may need to release multiple
> binary packages for each main

Thanks for clarifying.

Ok, well if it hidden way inside the package where nobody really
bothers to look I guess that it won't make much difference.

I have to say that my opinion is that we should be cleaning
up the crap that is inside packages and not adding to it.

Presently we have all sorts of duplication of information in
there, much of which isn't used.

Lets look:

 1) dependency_links : imo obsolete, usually left empty

 2) requires : imo made obsolete soon by PEP-345

 3) sources : Works fine

 4) top_level : wt.. is this? What program uses this?

 5) not-zip-safe : couldn't this be a setting in setup.cfg?

 6) PKG-INFO : The metadata file itself

So from the above list, 4 out 6 files serve no real purpose.

I'm actually ok with new files and directories created after
installation. But that should be made a little clearer in the
PEP. It's ambiguous as to whether the files are carried in the
package or created at installation time.

David