[Distutils] People want CPAN

Ram Rachum cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Tue Nov 10 02:39:09 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:

> I just found this comment on my blog. People have told me this in
> person too, so I believe it is real pain (even if the solution may be
> elusive and the suggested solutions may not work). But I don't know
> how to improve the world. Is the work on distutils-sig going to be
> enough? Or do we need some other kind of work in addition? Do we need
> more than PyPI?
>
> --Guido

I didn't see this mentioned in the other comments: Sometimes
easy_install just gets stuck with an IncompleteRead error or
something like that. (I may be butchering the error's name,
sorry.) Then some part of the html of the page gets printed
up to a seemingly arbitrary point, and the install fails.
I'm not sure what causes that, but I've seen it happening at
random for at least a couple of months. Sometimes it works,
sometimes it fails with the incomplete read thing, and then
if you try again it will fail at the same point of the html
page. Try it a few hours later, it might work then. Not nice.

(I've seen it happen on both Linux and Windows.)

Ram.