[Distutils] Fwd: People want CPAN :-)

Antonio Cavallo a.cavallo at acm.org
Wed Nov 11 17:22:41 CET 2009

I might be the only one that doesn't need CPAN here but ...
I'll try to explain the needs of a contractor working on some python
projects in a commercial environment:

1. I don't need a replacement for rpm/yast/yum/synaptic: they provide
file tracking and package resolution/dependency already and
   pepole are using them (and it has been for a very long time)

2. I use (and I'm failry happy) with bdist_wininst: is solves all my
problems in windows

3. As part of my duty I must record and track about licenses and
ownerships: I don't need a package build system that goes over
internet
   fetching things

4. I might be working as administrator (as normal in windows) and
doing the "CPAN" way will possibly overwrite packages upong which
other
   components are depending

I've used CPAN in the past and as system administrator I garantee you
is the last thing you'd like to have around (and any system like that
for that matter): there're are ALREADY platform standards, please
don't ignore them.

Regards,
Antonio Cavallo

PS. Why is that difficult a parallel install of packages under
site-packages/mypackage/X.Y.Z  enforcing the X.Y.Z numbering?
Have I miss something? Am I too naive?