[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:59:35 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

> It does feel something like that. The build system is just one of the
> problems with distutils' internals, in my experience. You can think of the
> rest of distutils as a little application framework for command line
> utilities. I think this framework simply fails to provide in very
> fundamental ways, like the "extend commands by subclassing" design pattern.
> That choice makes it fundamentally difficult to combine extensions together.
> I really don't see a way to evolve away from that (and believe me, over the
> last decade, I've tried). You just need to redesign the internals if you
> want to get away from that. You can't get from any point A to any point B by
> evolving in small steps that are functional (not to mention backwards
> compatible!) all the way through.

I am very surprised about this statement.

What did you tried for the paste decade and failed to do ? I hear some
complaints
since a week, but beside's David examples I didn't read any other
precise use cases.

We're looking through the build_ext use case, and we are making some
improvement on
the other thread. So why not doing this in other issues ?

Let's discuss your use case. And if it means adding new options to run
arbitrary commands like
post/pre hooks to a given command, to avoid subclassing an existing
command, let's do it.

And let's drop the backward compat issues in these discussions, so we
don't burn out
in details.

Tarek