[Distutils] Improving distutils vs redesigning it (was people want CPAN)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:18:02 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> And let's drop the backward compat issues in these discussions, so we
> don't burn out
> in details.

That's the part I don't understand. If backward compatibility is not a
concern, why keeping distutils ? If you change the command and
Distribution class design, what remains of the original code  ? You
are changing the API and the implementation (which are quite tangled
with each other in distutils case), almost none of the original code
would remain.

It really feels to me like you are getting the pain of backward
compatibility without the gains. What am I missing ?

David