[Distutils] Improving distutils vs redesigning it (was people want CPAN)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 12 06:08:53 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> I want to improve Distutils, but not for the price of a complete drop.
> I don't think the edge cases we
> are discussing worth it, and I still fail to see why we can't work
> them out in the context of the existing
> tool.

Well, the scientific python edge case is what Guido asked about in the
original thread. That's our answer: we don't think something which is
not fundamentally different than distutils will solve our problems. If
you think that what we considered as fundamental issues are corner cases
and implementation details, we can only agree to disagree, I guess.

Now, it is legitimate to dismiss our use-cases as edge cases and not
worthwhile to worry about. We are not certainly not as big as say the
web development community. But the question was directed at us, as I
understood it :)

cheers,

David