[Distutils] Improving distutils vs redesigning it (was people want CPAN)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:01:15 CET 2009

2009/11/12 David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm confused now.
>
> The idea is that numpy.distutils adds a scons command, and if your
> setup.py contains something like:

What I'm confused about is that you say that distutils should be
scrapped and not incrementally improved, yet your effort of doing it
"the right way" builds on distutils.

> That's one of the reason why I find the claim of distutils
> having a deep and large knowledge hard to believe.

Me too, but I think the community does. And currently that knowledge
is being focused into a bunch of PEP's. Which is the reason for my
previous (and so far ignored) question if that work should be ignored,
or if a new solution done The Right Way should build on those PEPs.
And  if it should, what the difference then is to the current effort
of fixing distutils.

If scons is the Right Way then it seems to me yet again that the whole
discussion is moot, and that what should be done is to build
extensions for scons to build/install/upload Python modules, and then
after doing that, just saying "Use scons instead". If the community
then agrees, scons will be used. Obviously you should then here on
this list say that you are building these extensions and asking for
help with it.

Less talk, more hockey, as we say in Sweden.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64