[Distutils] People want CPAN :-)

John Kleint jkleint at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:42:08 CET 2009

>Tarek Ziadé schrieb:
>
>> For the documentation part I am afraid it will be messy for the end
>> users trying to package apps in Python *until* all PEPs
>> have made it into Python.
>>
>> Although, as Ian Bicking says: we could write today some kind of
>> all-in-one tutorial so end-users can work out without having to run
>> after the documenation in several places.
>
>Big +1, and I would be more than willing to include it in the standard
>Python documentation, *even* if it mostly describes setuptools/distribute/pip.
>
>When people want to package a library, they *will* look for docs in Python,
>and at the moment they only find the distutils reference.  While the latter
>is necessary, a more howto-like standard document is much needed.
>
>Georg

I have the start of such a document, derived from my own recent
experience pulling together all the information needed to release a
new Python project.  It's aimed at people new to packaging and
possibly open source in general, so it's broader than just packaging.
It includes things like basic file layout, unit testing, Pylint,
getting started with Sphinx, a sample (distutils) setup.py, and how to
register with PyPI.  I try to pull together all the info a novice
would need to have a reasonable shot at sharing their code.  It's by
no means all-encompassing (e.g. no mention of native extensions), but
perhaps someone would be willing to write a complimentary advanced
packaging howto.  You can find it at:

http://infinitemonkeycorps.net/docs/pph/

Let me know what you think.

-John