[Distutils] PEP 345 update + RFC on "Requires-External" and "Requires-Python"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 01:09:01 CET 2009

Hello

I've update PEP 345 with a first draft about the markers,

http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/#environment-markers

PEP 390 is being reworked accordingly, but I guess we can have a new round of
comments on PEP 345 and PEP 386, as they can be accepted and added in Python
independently from the other PEPs.

There's also a "Requires-External" field that was added in the first
update of 345, that we need to discuss.

The idea of this field is to be able to define a non-Python dependency
in the metadata. It's based on a list stored and managed at PyPI.

Values could be things like "libxslt", "libpng", etc..

Last, "Requires-Python" is introduced to define the version of Python.
I am not sure this is required anymore since Martin has added a Trove
classifier
for this. But in the meantime, this is stronger than a "simple"
classifier I think.

Any comments ?

Regards

Tarek