[Distutils] People want CPAN

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:15:33 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Jeremy Kloth <jeremy.kloth at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
>> So did you end up changing the way options are passed to the commands,
>> or do you just have a specific "config" command that looks over other
>>  options passed to the other commands ?
>
> It is done with the 'config' command having all the options used by the other
> commands.  The other commands would then look up their options' values from
> 'config' (if not supplied on the command-line). If, for example, `--prefix`
> was supplied to 'install', the 'install' command would then cause the 'config'
> to redo its stored options.
>
> If at all possible, I would eliminate the redundant options on
> build_*/install_* and leave them solely on 'config' as it greatly simplifies
> the interaction of the commands.

So, pratically speaking, if:

$ python setup.py install

is called, the install command will instanciate the configure command, that will
return options that were stored in some file, in a previous call ?

But, for the option redundancy problem, the simplest way I can see to
have the "configure" options in "install", or to let the end user pass
them along, would be
to make "configure" the base class for all commands that are part of
the configure-make-install story,
so when they run they can read and write options in the stored file
and use if needed the options
passed in the command line.

Tarek