[Distutils] Including package data with Distribute

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:37:52 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Ram Rachum <cool-rr at cool-rr.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Please take a look at my question about including package data:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1734373/including-package-data-with-distribute/
>
> (I don't care whether you answer here or on StackOverflow.)

I've change that behavior in Distutils (in Python trunk (2.7/3.2) )

Now all files mentioned in package_data will be included by default
without having to
write a MANIFEST.in file, and without having to use the magic behavior
based on DVCS.

Until then, I would recommend using an explicit MANIFEST.in and stick
with plain Distutils options,
so you don't rely on any VCS, and you don't add files by accidents,
that are in your
repository, but that you don't want to see added in your release.

Distribute 0.7.x will probably stick with Distutils upcoming default behavior.

Tarek