[Distutils] People want CPAN

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 23:22:48 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Greg Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>> But the result is similar, and explicit imports should work too, so
>> maybe registeries
>> are just sugar on the top of something we first need to make work.
>
> It's completely unnecessary sugar, if you ask me.
> I don't see what's bad about importing functionality
> you want to use.
>
> Where and how do you intend the registration to happen,
> anyway? Would it be done by the setup.py script? In
> that case I don't see how it saves you anything, since
> you would have to first import the thing you want to
> register anyway.
>
> Or are you envisaging that Pyrex or whatever tool is
> involved would somehow patch itself into distutils
> when you install it? I don't like that idea much,
> since it smacks of the kind of monkeypatching that
> setuptools is reviled for.

Patching ?

No, I was thinking about a basic plugin registery, exactly like what we
have *now* for commands with distutils.cfg, which is a simple configparser
file where you can point packages that contains commands, so they are loaded
when Distutils is run. (that's the "command-packages" option)

So, using the same technique, we can explicitely list in such .cfg
what are the compilers and where they are:

  [compilers]
  pyrex=pyrex.distutils:PyrexCompile

Tarek