[Distutils] Including package data with Distribute

Piotr Ozarowski ozarow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:10:06 CET 2009

[Tarek Ziadé, 2009-11-16]
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Piotr Ozarowski <ozarow at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
> >> I've change that behavior in Distutils (in Python trunk (2.7/3.2) )
> >
> > semi related:
> >
> > What's the preferred way to notify module (at install stage) about new
> > data location when someone overrides --install-data
> > (--install-data=/usr/share/foo/)?
>
> What is "module" here ? what's your use case ?

any library/package/extension/whatever that sits in site-packages
directory

I use --install-data to install non .py/.so files outside site-packages
but then I have to patch the module to look for these files in the
right directory as it still looks for them in site-packages.

Wolodja mentioned something similar on [1] - if $data can be overridden
in .egg-info (using --install-data), then that's what I'm looking for.
It's just a proposal, though - I'm wondering how should I use
--install-data now.

[1] http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/DiscussionOverview