[Distutils] Please help me use PyPI

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 18:27:51 CET 2009

Ram Rachum wrote:
> (1.) I have 4 different forks for my project for Python versions 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
> and 3.1. Should they all be on the same name in PyPI?

Yes.

> (2.) I'm trying to upload an MSI. I'm doing `setup.py bdist_msi register
> upload`. It builds the project and the setup script finishes, but then I get:
>
>     error: garlicsim-0.1: No such file or directory
>
> And no .msi file is uploaded to PyPi. Why?

It doesn't look like your project built successfully.
Just do setup.py bdist_msi. When you find a .msi in your build
directory, then try the upload command.

> (3.) I tried uploading my 2.5 fork. It asks me to identify, I do, it gives an OK
> response (which doesn't happen unless the identification is right), but then it
> claims I didn't identify! Why?
>

>     [...]
>     removing 'build\bdist.win32\egg' (and everything under it)
>     running register
>     We need to know who you are, so please choose either:
>      1. use your existing login,
>      2. register as a new user,
>      3. have the server generate a new password for you (and email it to you),
> or
>      4. quit
>     Your selection [default 1]:  1
>     Username: coolRR
>     Password:
>     Server response (200): OK
>     running upload
>     Submitting dist\garlicsim-0.1.zip to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>     Upload failed (401): You must be identified to edit package information

Dunno on this one. Have you since solved this?
I see your .zip there:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/garlicsim

cheers,

Chris

PS: catalog-sig is arguably the correct list for your problems...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk