[Distutils] PEP 345 update + RFC on "Requires-External" and "Requires-Python"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:53:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:

> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>>> near none. I don't see much point in a field for this feature: that's
>>> a typical example where every os vendor is different, and it would
>>> bring more confusion that it worth IMHO.
>>
>> I agree.
>>
>> And I can think about a few scenarii where the names managment at PyPI
>> will be a nightmare.
>>
>> The PyPI manager will have to decide unilaterally the names to keep,
>> the names to change,  and he will need to maintain aliases for names
>> that points to the same lib, to make both camps happy,
>> and possibly keep backward compatibilities for those names.
>>
>> I am proposing to remove the Requires-External completely from PEP
>> 345, unless someone wants it badly. (And he/she will need to go into
>> greater details in these scenarii)
>
> - -1. I don't see a problem keeping it:  it is "advisory" only.  PyPI is
> not a consumer of this field, and should *not* be doing any enforcement
> / normalization / mapping of its values.

In that case, I am not sure to see what's the point of keeping an
external reference registery at PyPI,
as a free place where anyone can put anything. The only gain I was
seeing it normalization.

If no normalization is done, then a plain README.txt file with this
info in the project itself is sufficient,  or maybe making the field
hold these (name, description, url) info directly.

Tarek