[Distutils] PEP 345 - 3 new fields

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:39:42 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 04:23:33PM -0800, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:52:11 -0800, Tarek Ziadé
>> <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello
>> >As suggested in Catalog-SIG by some people, I would like to propose
>> >the addition of three more fields for 1.2:
>> >"Repository-URL"
>> >    A string containing the URL for the package's repository.
>> >   Example:
>> >        http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/
>> >"Repository-Browse-URL"
>> >     A string containing the URL for the package's browsable repository.
>> >   Example:
>> >      http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk
>> >"Bug-Tracker-URL"
>> >   A string containing the URL for the package's bug tracker
>> >   Example:
>> >      http://bugs.python.org/
>>
>> What are the possible use-cases (by the tools) of these new fields
>> would be? I can imagine Repository-URL to be of use (eg: pip install
>> IPython==dev), but have no idea why the other two should be added.
>
> Same as for Author and Author-email etc: more information for the
> (human) users.  I think this is very valuable when browsing packages
> on e.g. PyPI.

Yes. What is happening right now is that people are adding sometimes
these info in the long_description,
but there's no way to display these informations at PyPI in a specific
location on the page,
like a portlet for example.

PyPI is extracting urls out of long_description to put them in the
simple index for tools like easy_install to process them, but that's
it.

If you look at plone.org (which is PyPI -compatible) :
http://plone.org/products/jyu.pathkey

Each project can display in the "project resources" some of these
links, but that's currently done manually.

Having them in the metadata will make it easier for PyPI and other
similar servers to get them and display them,
and will encourage the developers to use them from within their setup.py

This proposal was triggered in the discussion about the
rating/commenting system : someone said that
we would have much more value in displaying these links, for people to
find the code and the tracker.

Tarek