[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:45:48 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
>> since the .dev versions are really only snapshots leading up to
>> some release, i.e. 1.0.dev456 is a snapshot leading up to the
>> first pre-release of the 1.0 :-)
>
> But in this case if I want to make a pre-release of 1.0 but after the
> last rc then I can't, I can only make a post-release of the last rc.
> That's almost more un-intuitive that forcing your first pre-release to
> be '1.0a0.dev456' instead of just '1.0.dev456'.

It seems to me that the number of development versions of rc releases
is very low compared to the number of development snapshots done for
1.0, before the pre-release cycle starts.

(I don't think I have ever needed a dev snapshot of a rc version)

I am +1 for keeping the intuitive writing for the pre-release cycle.

e.g.

 1.0.dev456
 < 1.0a1.dev456
 < 1.0a1