[Distutils] Common version-comparison semantics for peace love and harmony

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:36:59 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
[...]
> Yes, this is why I am coming to the conclusion that we are asking
> too much of a versioning scheme.
>
> Thus I think we need, instead, a way to specify two things.
>
> First of all  Requires-Dist:  needs to be able to specify multiple
> branches.  And second of all we need to get a unique name for a
> branch.  But once we have that, we can work on timestamps to find
> 'later' -- and we won't have to worry if people need to make
> 3.0.gamma or 3.0.c4 in the future because their beta went really
> badly, or something.

Do you mean that people will have to provide a unique name for each branch
of their project ?

I don't think that moving this complexity to the Requires-Dist field
is going to help,
but maybe, you could provide some examples of defining some versions
dependencies, for several branches, with development versions,
pre-release versions etc ?

Regards,
Tarek