[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 18:01:26 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 04:27:04PM +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> [lots of explanation]
>
> Thanks for these explanations Toshio. I am starting to think that
> whatever we use on Python side will be fine for you guys, (and for
> Ubuntu/Fedora guys), as long as it is
> described in the PEP.

Pretty much.

> So I think that using '.' as we stated before "works" for everyone,
>
> Now about the usage of "a1" as alpha for us, and a post release patch for you,
> this is something that won't be changed because it's deeply used in
> the Python community, (by Python itself, and most framworks) so we
> need to keep a status quo.

<nod> -- The only caveat to that is that aliases are a bad idea.

So please don't add "alpha" as an alias for "a".  If you must, add "alpha"
and "a" separately so there is a predictable sorting between "alpha1" and
"a1"... although this is still a way to make confusion rather than eliminate
it.

-Toshio