[Distutils] Common version-comparison semantics for peace love and harmony

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Nov 28 22:05:15 CET 2009

At 09:41 AM 11/28/2009 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>That's completely wrong, the proposal is a benefit for all of us,
>because it standardizes something that is already being done.

You seem to have misunderstood me; I'm objecting to Ben Finney's
"simple alphanumeric sort", not to PEP 386 in general.

>PEP 386 propose a scheme to be adopted by developers or tools, but if some
>people want to stick with their own internal version scheme for
>development versions or post/pre release versions, they can do it
>without any problem. And they don't have to follow
>any PEP 386 convention for their internal work.

This is not actually true, since developers working in a team
situation can be sharing and building binary releases of these packages.

>So you have two choices:
>- an implicit, heuristic ordering (that's what is happening today)
>- a explicit, documented ordering. that's the goal of PEP 386.

Setuptools' version scheme *is* explicit and documented -- as you
should know, since I pointed you to those docs when you were writing PEP 386.