[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Nov 28 22:10:02 CET 2009

At 08:11 PM 11/28/2009 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> >> Here's another take at a minimal change to the format which
> >> includes the things we discussed, adds a few more aliases
> >> for the "post" and "dev" markers and also adds optional
> >> underscores for more readability.

Please don't add underscores to the syntax -- they will cause
problems with the filename escaping and parsing used today by
setuptools and compatible tools, and will produce inconsistent
comparisons between "rational" versions and the version schemes
supported by setuptools.

Ideally, it would be best to keep PEP 386 versions a strict subset of
setuptools-supported versions, to minimize migration difficulties.