[Distutils] Common version-comparison semantics for peace love and harmony

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Nov 28 22:53:50 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> writes:

> 3 - stick with "post" "dev" for the post and pre-release tags because
> *we need them to sort development versions and post versions* in
> installers, and because *they don't hurt* for people that are not
> publishing such versions.

I disagree on both counts — these keywords are not needed, and are not
harmless — and have demonstrated otherwise, so I am convinced the above
conclusion is a mistake.

However, I don't intend to repeat the discussion further (rejoice!). Do
with the information what you will.

--
 \        “I washed a sock. Then I put it in the dryer. When I took it |
  `\                                 out, it was gone.” —Steven Wright |