[Distutils] PEP 345 - 3 new fields

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 29 01:24:18 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Change-Log-URL
>
> I don't see a lot of projects with a changelog file available online,
> rather a changelog file in the release in CHANGELOG and sometimes a
> changelog displayed in the long_description field, so it's shown at
> PyPI.

I think that's a poor practice; the long description shouldn't need to
change every release and shouldn't include a changelog.

> Can you detail on this one ?

I would like to see more projects making their changelog a separate
document, so it could be referenced simply and separately from other
information about the project. This field would encourage that by making
it more visible.

> > Documentation-URL
>
> How would this one be different from Home-page ?

The home page is a “first impressions” page. It usually doesn't jump
straight into a user's guide and technical documentation and interface
specification.

Many projects have a separate index page specifically for documentation;
the URL of that page would be the value for this field.

--
 \           “Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. |
  `\     “Don't bother us with politics,” respond those who don't want |