[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 21:15:05 CET 2009

2009/11/29 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
[..]

> WSGI and setuptools have been widely adopted in spite of their technical and
> ideological flaws, because they had good incentive engineering.
>
> Or, in other words, because practicality beats purity, every single time.

Do you mean here that this independently-created standard, this good
incentive engeneering a.k.a.
Setuptools, is doomed not to evolve anymore ?   e.g. to adapt its
standard to a common standard that is going to raise and be added in
stldib at some point ?

That's not what Distribute will aim at.  We will want to provide the
compatibility bridge for people that uses setuptools API to adopt the
upcoming standards. And if this happen in Python 2.7, that might be a
simple flag :

  use_stdlib_standard = True

IOW third party software should adapt themselves to Python and its
stdlib, through deprecations etc., not the contrary.

Regards,
Tarek