[Distutils] Bundling pkg_resources

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 30 20:25:16 CET 2009

At 08:10 PM 11/30/2009 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>2009/11/30 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> > At 07:16 PM 11/30/2009 +0200, cool-RR wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, that sort of sucks. And this is my motivation for bundling the
> >> `pkg_resources` from Distribute. The last thing I want is having
> my software
> >> fail for my users because of setuptools while I have Distribute installed
> >> locally and can't see the bug on my computer.
> >
> > That's *really* unlikely.  Setuptools' runtime functionality (i.e.,
> > pkg_resources) has an extremely low bug count.  There have actually been
> > more new pkg_resources bugs in Distribute's version of it (due to their
> > changes) than there are outstanding reported bugs in the original
> > pkg_resources.
>
>As I said earlier, we've had our share of bugs because we needed to
>make Distribute
>work in some particular environments, but that was bootstraping issues
>we've fixed. And
>if we have more we will fix them and release another version of Distribute.

I wasn't criticizing Distribute - I was using Distribute to show just
*how low* pkg_resources' bug count is.

(You know, this is now the third time in the last few days where
you've interpreted my *positive* comments about your work (e.g. PEP
386) to someone else here as being some sort of criticism or argument
with you.)