[Distutils] bdist_deb in stdeb

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sun Oct 4 01:58:26 CEST 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Andrew,
> I see in the latest postings where setuptools is breaking with Python
> 2.6.3. Can you switch 'stdeb' over to using Distribute, which is being
> actively maintained?

As I understand it, installing Distribute installs a package called
"setuptools". Therefore, my understanding is that you can do that
yourself by simply installing Distribute.

I have not tried stdeb with Distribute (yet), and don't know what
changes, if any, would be necessary to switch.

If you want to submit a patch against the master branch, I will
definitely evaluate it.

As it is, I assume that when Debian and Ubuntu package Python 2.6.3,
they will also patch setuptools to be compatible, so I don't see this as
a particularly pressing issue. (More pressing issues include getting a
new release out.) In fact, Karmic is already using 2.6.3 and I haven't
noticed any trouble there with stdeb, setuptools, and modules requiring
build_ext.

-Andrew