[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Oct 5 16:02:49 CEST 2009

On Monday,2009-10-05, at 7:38 , Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I apologize for my part in this, but moving forward I think that if
> it's possible to patch and release a setuptools that works with
> Python 2.6.3 /and/ earlier Python 2.6.x's, then that should happen
> asap.  If that's not possible, then we might need to revert the
> distutils change in a quick Python 2.6.4.

Why not move ahead with both?  Then, for example, people who do have
Python 2.6.3 installed and get the latest setuptools will be okay,
and also people who have setuptools-0.6c9 installed and get the
latest Python.  There are a lot of people who have constraints on
what they they can deploy and when, so it wouldn't hurt to have both
fixes available.

(Also, one of the fixes might not get done in a timely way.)

Thanks,

Zooko