[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Mon Oct 5 21:51:02 CEST 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:21:28 -0700, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> And there's nothing all that special about setuptools' subclassing of
> build_ext; in fact, if you look back in the archives here, other people
> have done equivalent subclassing to support dynamic library building.  I
> haven't checked their code, but there is a strong possibility that it
> would also fail in the same way.

Correct. pywin32-212 broke in similar way -
http://bugs.python.org/issue7020 - which issue was fixed in pywin32 trunk.

And Tarek commented on the incompleteness of the `get_ext_filename` API:

TAREK: "[...] But this API, even if its doctest doesn't make it clear (I
will change
it to make it clearer) is used for both namespaced names and non
namespaced names by the community."

Personally, I prefer that setuptools is fixed (in accordance with the
clarified API behavior). Yet, 2.6.3 currently has a critical bug open with
the logging module that may warrant a quick 2.6.4 release.

-srid