[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:38:39 CEST 2009

2009/10/5 Jeremy Sanders <jeremy at jeremysanders.net>:
> As a general question, is there any planned project to improve the state of
> distutils or replace it? It appears to be one of the weakest parts of the
> Python system and needs replacing with something much cleaner, better
> documented and more powerful.

Tarek's working on enhancements to distutils. The current breakage of
setuptools demonstrates why this is a slow, painful, process :-(

> Even making something like cmake the standard would help a lot.

There's no plan for anything like that. I'll leave it to you to
imagine the cries of horror from the community when such a radical
change meant that easy_install no longer worked, and there was no
prospect of fixing it :-)

Paul.