[Distutils] Package install failures in 2.6.3 - setuptools vs Distribute

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:41:10 CEST 2009

2009/10/7 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>:
> The fact that the bugfix (to distutils) was committed by folks who are
> *alos* pusing a fork to setuptools is what raises the eyebrows here.

Eh... why? Tarek has become the lead for Python packaging programs and
is trying hard to fix the sad state of Python packaging. It's not
particularily surprising that he (or otehrs involved in Python
packaging) would be involved in more than one package.

> Note that I am *not* suggesting that anyone acted in bad faith;  but the
> "appearance of impropriety" can be present where no actual impropriety
> exists.  The only cure is for the "conflicted" parties to take extreme
> measures to avoid appearing to act improperly.
> There are those postig on this thread that the distutils breakage is a
> good thing for Distribute, because it *forces* folks to switch:  I call
> that a solid hint, myself.

I'm sorry, but I read this as you implying that somebody could think
Tarek, me and other Distribute people is involved in some sort of
Python packaging conspiracy. I can't take that seriously, so I really
hope that you mean something else, because that idea is just
laughable.

There is no appearance of impropriety. There is no "conflicted party".
There is no conflict. You can't read anything as being good for
Distribute, because there is no "good for Distribute". Distribute does
not benefit from people using it. People benefit from using
Distribute.

I suspect that you see some conflict or competition between Distribute
and setuptools when there is none.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64