[Distutils] dev versions

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Oct 9 14:46:29 CEST 2009

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:

> So after creating, say, version 0.3.1, I always mark a package as
> 0.3.2dev.

Why not just mark it 0.3.2 during development, and change the version
string in a later revision if warranted?

> But this is annoying, you might never create a version 0.3.2 (e.g.,
> 0.4 might be the next level).

So what? If there are revisions in your VCS that have a particular
version string 0.3.2, you can look to the release log to see whether
this revision is later than version 0.3 and earlier than version 0.4.
What does it matter tha 0.3.2 was never actually released?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> On Thursday,2009-10-08, at 15:41 , Ian Bicking wrote:
> > What is considered best practice for this? Ideally something that
> > works with both Setuptools and the upcoming Distribute version spec.
>
> What we do in the Tahoe-LAFS project is we don't count down to a
> future version, we only count up from a past version. This is also
> what Twisted does (no coincidence -- we probably got the idea from
> them).

That sounds eminently sensible and simple.

> So the most recent release of Tahoe-LAFS was 1.5.0. The next time we
> committed a patch to our darcs repository, it automatically got the
> version number 1.5.0-r4040.

Right. If someone later decides that the version string should be
incremented during development, they can do that; just so long as it
only ever increases (and, by corrollary, that no-one increments the
version string lightly).

> This means that we don't have version numbers with things like "beta"
> in their name. The most recent time that we had a beta was, I think,
> Tahoe-LAFS 1.4.1-r4021. We just announced on our mailing list "Hey
> everybody, we're ready to make a new release! Please try the current
> version (1.4.1-r4021) and tell us if it works for you!".

I applaud this practice; I find it far more simple and comprehensible
than special out-of-sequence keywords in version strings.

--
 \       “The man who is denied the opportunity of taking decisions of |
  `\      importance begins to regard as important the decisions he is |