[Distutils] the virtualenv-distribute mess

kiorky kiorky at cryptelium.net
Fri Oct 9 15:32:55 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM, kiorky <kiorky at cryptelium.net> wrote:
>> Hi tarek,
>>
>> Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
>>
>>> The *whole* point of Distribute 0.6.x is to be backward compatible, meaning
>>> that if virtualenv switch to it, you will not even notice it.
>> Living in my 0.6.x snail sandbox is not a solution.
>> As it seems that Distribute 0.7 won't for a long time.
>>
>> "setuptools based" packages will be able to be installed via the distribute 0.6
>> branch but not compatible with "distribute based" stuff. Note that new things
>> will eventually be packaged with the "new good way todo, aka with 0.7". There is
>> a great risk that they can't live together aside. NOGO
>
> Why they can't ?

As i understood all those readings, packages for 0.6 and 0.7 will be installable
with the appropriate distribute version, thus side by side, but for me, they may
be incompatibles together.

>> 0.7 packages wont be compatibles with setuptools installation/namespaces, so it
>> will be impossible to install a lot of "setuptools based" packages aside with
>> new stuff in with this way too. NOGO too.
>
> Why will it be impossible ?

pep-0382 is not equivalent to setuptools's one for example. Can i have been
certified i will not have breakages when trying to import a setuptools based
namespace package from a 0.7 sharing the same namespace?

> [...]
>> I appreciate what you folks are doing with the distribute sphere, i have not
>> that much problems with it, but i do not support that it breaks very badly the
>> retro compatibilty for all things already packaged today, today tomorrow or in
>> one year.
>
> Again, you will be able to use 0.6 and 0.7 together. or 0.6 alone, or
> 0.7 alone.
>
> Nothing will be broken in a distribution that uses 0.6.
>
> 0.6 stays maintained.

As i said ealier, there will be incompatibilities at some point.
And also, to use them together, what a hell. For package A i need 0.6 (hard
requirement), for package B i need 0.7 (hard requirement), for C i need 0.6. C
depend on A which depends on B. I also have no sort of control over the
maintenance of those products, think that the authors are dead.
So, i ll have to manually install B for A to fulfill its requirements then C
will install. Deployments will be simple :)

> Tarek

Cordialement,
KiOrKY
GPG Key FingerPrint: 0x1A1194B7681112AF