[Distutils] why would you ever need to specify setuptools as a dependency?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 16:56:17 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:28:57PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:

> In this case, which I suspect is extremely rare anyway, you'll need to
> have setuptools installed already.
>
> So, in *any* of these cases, specifying setuptools as a requirement
> seems like a total waste of time...
>
> Now, what case have I missed? ;-)

It's nice for people creating system packages when you specify all of the
packages that your runtime depends on in setup.py.  That allows system
packagers to read setup.py and be able to create the complete list of
runtime dependencies for their packaging metadata.  Several times I've been
asked for help debugging why a python package fails to work for a few people
only to discover that the package used entry-points or another setuptools
runtime feature but only required it for buildtime.  Note, however, that
overspeciying the *versions* you need has the opposite effect :-)

-Toshio