[Distutils] [buildout] hard coded urls considered harmful

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 18:19:51 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> My suggestion would be for bootstrap.py to include the code in ez_setup.py,
>> but that seems a little heavyweight. I guess this will all be solved when
>> the standard library includes modules to download packages from PyPI and
>> install them. But what to do in the meantime?
>
> zc.buildout uses setuptools. it's hardcoded and it's deeper than bootstrap.py.
> Changing this properly requires quite some work.

Not that much, as you already know, as I've already done the majority of
this on a branch. Hopefully I'll get to look at this again soon, and the
bugs I hit might well be solved now that Distribute is more mature...

> We need to leave this alone and provide a distribute bootstrap.py
> that does some extra things to make zc.buildout work with it.

Hacking around like this seems sub optimal to me.

> A specific bootstrap.py script for distribute is possible, and I
> happen to have it finished now :
>
> $ wget http://ziade.org/bootstrap.py

I'll certainly try this out, but I'm not using buildout trunk anywhere.
Does it work with the current released version of buildout?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk