[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Bits-of-Distribute naming

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:34:59 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 06:05:50PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> >>
> >> - The code is splitted in many packages and might be distributed under
> >> several distributions.
> >>
> >>   - distribute.resources: that's the old pkg_resources...
>
> > Why not just call it pkg_resources and/or merge it with pkgutil to get it
> > into the python stdlib?
>
> Because "pkg_resources" belongs to 0.6 and we want 0.7 to be
> installable alongside 0.6 if needed.
[...]
> > Why not call in "pypi.client" and "pypi.server" or, better yet, get it into
> > the stdlib as disutils.index.client distutils.index.server?
>
> We are keeping a "distribute." namespace for all bits.
>
> Now maybe one day it'll make it into Distutils, yes. But not now.

If the final plan is (or might be) to move distribute.resources into
the stdlib might it not ease transition to pick an import name that
will be able to remain the same?

Regards
Floris

PS: Moved discussion from python-dev to distutils-sig, hope that's fine.

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom